AIA Publishing submissions, process and general information.
AIA Publishing was created for authors who want the stamp of approval that comes from publishing with a selective publisher plus the high royalties and control enjoyed by self-publishers.
Our model gives you, the author, the validation of quality you would get from any traditional publishing contract plus 100% royalties on ebook sales and 85% of paperback sales (through Ingram Spark). This great royalty rate and control of the ebook product come because you fund the project. We just help you publish it and make sure that your book deserves the AIA brand of quality. Books published by AIA Publishing pass through a submission and editorial process that ensures that the book meets the standards set for Awesome Indies Approval.
We’re perfect for those on a tight budget who don’t want to create their own publishing company or have their own name (or Amazon Digital Services or Smashwords) appear as the publisher on their book listings. With us, you can avoid the self-publishing stigma.
Our rates are very reasonable, but if you want to spend more on covers and more complex formatting, you can. We guide you through the process, but you decide what level of cost you can afford. Our cheapest rate will give you a simple but quality product. We have designed this service to meet the needs of contemporary authors.
Please note: We specialise in fiction, but also publish memoirs with a narrative structure, books on writing and selected books on personal development.
“Unlike other companies, AIA Publishing is not about making money and squeezing the indie writer’s resources dry in return for mediocre services. Rather, they are laser focused on providing high quality books at costs that are more than reasonable. Tahlia gives authors complete ownership and control of their work, she provides quality services, coordinates with gifted professionals, and gives very good advice to make your book a success. Tahlia patiently explained the process, costs, and the services required to produce a well edited book. Easy to work with, very responsive, and high informative, Tahlia has been remarkably helpful!
The AIA Publishing stamp means high quality awarded by knowledgeable professionals who love books for books’ sake. I am thrilled to be published by AIA Publishing! – J.M. Erickson: Author of Intelligent Design: Revelations.
SUBMISSION PROCESS FOR AIA PUBLISHING:
- You may submit your manuscript to us using the submission guidelines below. We will look at a sample and either reject the book, or request the full manuscript for us to read, or we may suggest a manuscript (ms) appraisal.
- If we read the full ms and the story and voice excites us, we will agree to publish your book, but unless your book is ready to publish in its present form, we will request further editing or proofreading, whatever is required to bring it to a publishable standard.
- If we suggest a ms appraisal, that will ascertain what further editing the book requires to reach a publishable standard. We may express interest in publishing the book at this stage, dependent on the author following our editorial suggestions, but we reserve the final decision on whether to publish the book until the proofreading stage.
- Editing: The author will undertake the editorial services required.
- Final Decision: After proofreading, our team will discuss the book. If we are enthusiastic about it, we will offer to publish it. If we are unsure we will ask for another manuscript appraisal by a different assessor. If we don’t make an offer, you can still publish it under our self-publishing service provider imprint Authors Own Publishing.
IF WE SELECT YOUR BOOK AND YOU TAKE UP OUR OFFER OF AIA AUTHOR-FUNDED PUBLICATION:
- You will decide if you want just an ebook or an ebook and a paperback. You may opt for just the ebook for a start and see how it goes before going for a paperback option.
- We will arrange the cover design and formatting for ebook and paperback. You pay for each service separately at each stage of the process, and you may stop working with us at any time. You may also choose different service providers for book covers and formatting, but we must approve their work, and we take no responsibility if their files don’t meet Lightning Source’s requirements.
- We will give you the files for your ebooks to upload yourself, so that you have total control and 100% royalties. Even though you’ve uploaded the files to your own account, you will have an AIA Publishing ISBN and so may cite AIA Publishing as the publisher.
- We will publish the paperback (if you choose that option) after the ebook has been published.
- Paperbacks have worldwide distribution through Ingram Distributors. Your paperback will appear on Amazon and other online stores within two weeks of publication and will be available for order through all bookstores.
- Publicity is entirely the author’s responsibility. However, we do what we can to help. For fiction and non-fiction our services include an up-coming publication blog inlcuding a cover reveal, a publication announcement, and an author interview and/or guest post on the AIA Publishing blog along with Tweets and Facebook posts for each.
If the book is Awesome Indies Approved (it must be submitted for that purpose) news of the release also goes via email to the Awesome Indies Readers’ Club subscribers, and you have the option to do an author interview and guest post on the Awesome Indies blog (this must be different to what has been posted on the other two sites), and you’ll get a listing on the Awesome Indies site.
NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT?
Check out our editing services. You can start with a manuscript appraisal to get our opinion and see how you like working with us. We can help bring your book up to a standard that will impress any agent or publisher.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
AIA Publishing’s books have a little bit of something special, perhaps a strong voice, a unique idea or some depth of insight. We do like a touch of metaphysics in our books and like genre fiction that has some depth in the story.
AIA PUBLISHING SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Email editing(at)aiapublishing(dot)com with ‘Submission for AIA Publishing’ in the subject line.
- Book title, genre and word count.
- Brief description of the work.
- What makes it unique.
- Why you want us to publish it.
- About you.
- The first 1000 words in the body of the email.
- Do not attach your book. We’ll let you know if we want to read the whole thing.
ESTIMATED COSTS – in addition to editing fees.
All prices are in USD.
We use subcontractors for cover design and formatting. You will pay them directly, but we will communicate with them on your behalf.
Formatting: $40 per hour (it’s usually around $70-$100 for fiction). We do this using Scrivener software, and produce a simple but elegant product. Non-fiction and books with images, drop capitals or bullet points need to use our HTML formatting option which will cost more. We will quote you.
Cover: From $100 for a cover from Velvet Wings Media. You pay them directly. If you want a different designer, let us know but conditions apply.
AIA Publishing fee: A set fee of $300 for ebook ISBN, co-ordination, communication, tax and business expenses. This covers the time we spend answering your questions and supporting you in the aspects you’ll do yourself.
Total: From $470
PRINT ON DEMAND (POD):
Title set up at Ingram Spark: $25
Ingram Spark file upload fee: $55
Formatting for print: $1 per page for fiction using in InDesign software. We also have a budget rate of $40 per hour for basic formatting done in Word (it usually comes out at around $100). Non-fiction or anything with graphics or photos must be done using the InDesign software and may cost slightly more than $1 per page depending on the book.
Cover for paperback: $50 in addition to ebook cover.
A set fee of $300 ISBN, co-ordination, communication, tax and business expenses.
A $65 fee to cover Ingram Spark catalogue fees for 5 years. This fee will be charged every five years that you want the book listed with us.
Total: Approx $550
A revision is any change apart from correcting spelling, punctuation or grammar errors that are requested after the completion of editing.
- The author pays USD$50 per hour for approval, editing and reformatting of revisions.
- File resubmission. If the book has been published already, the author pays an additional USD$30 per file for upload of revised paperback cover or interior file. This is required by Ingram Spark
- Authors upload their own ebook files to various distribution points and retain all royalties and control over pricing.
- Print on demand: Authors retain 85% of net income, i.e., what we receive from Lightning Source. 100% of paperback royalties if you opt for publishing at Create Space & upload the files yourself.
- Payments will be via electronic bank transfer where available (just Australia at present) or via Paypal. Payments will be made half yearly.
- The author retains all copyright.
- Author may buy books for cost price plus postage from printers in the USA, UK or Australia plus an additional 10% order processing fee. (5% if paying by Bank Transfer to our Australian bank rather than Paypal)
- Term and Exclusivity. The publisher will have exclusive rights to publish the Work for five (5) years after the first publication date. The agreement then needs to be renewed by the author and a further Ingram Source catalogue fee paid (USD$65). If the agreement is not renewed, the book will remain available for purchase through the publisher, but will not be available through bookshops. However the author may cancel the publishing agreement with thirty (30) days written notice without cause.
We will promote your book via our blog, email list and social media accounts, but other than that marketing will be the author’s responsibility.
Don’t know anything about publishing? You may find this article on the basics of publishing helpful. http://aiapublishing.com/modern-publishing-basics