AIA Publishing was created for authors who want the stamp of approval that comes from publishing with a selective publisher while still enjoying the high royalties and pricing control enjoyed by self-publishers.
Our model gives you, the author, the validation of quality you would get from any traditional publishing contract. With us you can avoid both the self-publishing stigma and having to learn a whole new set of skills. You’ll also get 100% royalties on ebook sales and 90% of paperback sales (through Ingram Spark). This great royalty rate is only posible because you fund the project, but all you pay is an hourly rate for the publication process plus the cost of editing, cover creation and formating. AIA Publishing’s base line is a simple but quality product. If you require photographs or intricate formating we subcontract the job out to others.
We specialise in fiction but also publish memoirs with a narrative structure, books on writing and occasionally books on personal development.
“Unlike other companies, AIA Publishing is not about making money and squeezing the indie writer’s resources dry in return for mediocre services. Rather, they are laser focused on providing high quality books at costs that are more than reasonable. Tahlia gives authors complete ownership and control of their work, she provides quality services, coordinates with gifted professionals, and gives very good advice to make your book a success. Tahlia patiently explained the process, costs, and the services required to produce a well edited book. Easy to work with, very responsive, and high informative, Tahlia has been remarkably helpful!
The AIA Publishing stamp means high quality awarded by knowledgeable professionals who love books for books’ sake. I am thrilled to be published by AIA Publishing! – J.M. Erickson: Author of Intelligent Design: Revelations.
The submission process
- You may submit your manuscript to us using the submission guidelines below. We will look at a sample and either reject the book without stating a reason or request the full manuscript.
- If we read the full manuscript and the story and voice excites us, we may agree to publish your book, but unless it is ready to publish in its present form, we will request further editing/proofreading before making a final decision.
- If we reject your book and you would like to know why, you can book a manuscript appraisal with our managing editor.
- Final Decision: When the editing and proofreading are complete, our team will discuss the book. If we are enthusiastic about it, we will offer to publish it. If we don’t make an offer, you can still publish it yourself, knowing that it has been edited ready for publication.
What we’re looking for
AIA Publishing’s books have a little bit of something special, perhaps a strong voice, a unique idea or some depth of insight. We do like a touch of metaphysics in our books and like genre fiction that has some depth in the story.
Email editing(at)aiapublishing(dot)com with ‘Submission for AIA Publishing’ in the subject line.
- Book title, genre and word count.
- Brief description of the work.
- What makes it unique.
- Why you want us to publish it.
- About you.
- The first 1000 words in the body of the email.
- Do not attach your book. We’ll let you know if we want to read the whole thing.
If we select your book and you take up our offer to publish it
- We will let you know if further editing is required and will quote you for the work. The publishing agreement is not signed until editing is completed.
- We will arrange the cover design and formatting for ebook and paperback or you can arrange them yourself, but we will need to approve the provider and the results. If you choose different service providers and their files don’t meet Ingram Spark’s requirements, extra costs may apply. Special formating includes books with photographs, drop caps, bullet points and a lot of headings and subheadings. If your book requires such things we will subcontract the job to an outside provider and they will quote you.
- You pay subcontractors directly.
- We charge you for costs and time, including the time it takes to read and write emails and check details,
- We will give you the files for your ebooks to upload to ebook publishing platforms yourself. That way you have pricing control and 100% royalties for the ebooks. Even though you’ll upload the files to your own account, you will have an AIA Publishing ISBN and will cite AIA Publishing as the publisher.
- Though we will take your ideas into consideration, the publisher has the final choice of title, cover and formating.
- Paperbacks have worldwide distribution through Ingram Distributors. Your paperback will appear on Amazon and other online stores within two weeks of publication and will be available for order through all bookstores.
- Publicity is entirely the author’s responsibility. However, we do what we can to help with blog and social media posts. We will post for you and share your posts widely.
All prices are in USD.
- $45 per hour (including tax) for publishing activities not including cover art, but including communications and formating, unless you want to include photos and/or special formating. This usually comes to somewhere between $400 to $1000 total for both ebook and paperback depending on how many emails you send us and how much co-ordination we do on your behalf. You can cut down the cost by communicating with the cover artist and formator (if you want special formating) yourself.
- $150 – $200 for ebook and paperback cover from Velvet Wings Media. Or choose your own cover artist, but remember that we must approve the artist and the design. If the PDF file does not meet Ingram Spark’s requirements, further charges may be inccurred. You pay the cover artist directly.
- Costs of $140, plus 15.3% tax and fees where applicable, comprising file uploads ($50), ISBN purchase ($25) and inclusion in the Ingram Spark catalogue for 5 years ($65) plus 10% tax and paypal fees (approx 4%) and bank exchange rate fees (approx 1.3%) for non-Australian authors. Tax and fees rates are subject to change on the whim of Governments, banks and Paypal.
- We will charge for costs upfront and invoice you for time accummulated when the paperback is published and you have received book files.
- Ebooks. Authors upload their own ebook files to Kindle Direct Publishing and Smashwords or other publication and distribution points and retain all ebook royalties and control over pricing.
- Print on demand: Authors retain 90% of net income, i.e., what we receive from Lightning Source minus 10%.
- Payments will be via electronic bank transfer in Australia and Paypal for other countries. Payments will be made monthly or quarterly.
- The author retains all copyright.
- Author may buy books for cost price plus postage from printers in the USA, UK or Australia, plus for non-Australian residents an additional 4% for Paypal fees plus 1.3% Bank fee to cover currency exchange, and (unless the book is being gifted to a reviewer) an order processing fee of $10.
- Term and Exclusivity. The publisher will have exclusive rights to publish the Work for five (5) years after the first publication date. The agreement then needs to be renewed by the author and a further Ingram Source catalogue fee paid ($65). If the agreement is not renewed, the book will remain available for purchase through the publisher, but will not be available through bookshops. However the author may cancel the publishing agreement with thirty (30) days written notice without cause.
We will promote your book via our blog, email list and social media accounts, but other than that marketing will be the author’s responsibility.
Don’t know anything about publishing? You may find this article on the basics of publishing helpful. http://aiapublishing.com/modern-publishing-basics