AIA Publishing was created for authors who want the stamp of approval that comes from publishing with a selective publisher while still enjoying the high royalties and pricing control enjoyed by self-publishers.
Our model gives you, the author, the validation of quality you would get from any traditional publishing contract. With us you can avoid both the self-publishing stigma and having to learn a whole new set of skills. You’ll also get 100% royalties on ebook sales and 90% of paperback sales (through Ingram Spark). This great royalty rate is only posible because you fund the project, but all you pay is an hourly rate for the publication process plus the cost of editing, cover creation and formating. AIA Publishing’s base line is a simple but quality product. If you require photographs or intricate formating we subcontract the job out to others.
We specialise in fiction but also publish memoirs with a narrative structure, books on writing and occasionally books on personal development.
“Unlike other companies, AIA Publishing is not about making money and squeezing the indie writer’s resources dry in return for mediocre services. Rather, they are laser focused on providing high quality books at costs that are more than reasonable. Tahlia gives authors complete ownership and control of their work, she provides quality services, coordinates with gifted professionals, and gives very good advice to make your book a success. Tahlia patiently explained the process, costs, and the services required to produce a well edited book. Easy to work with, very responsive, and high informative, Tahlia has been remarkably helpful!
The AIA Publishing stamp means high quality awarded by knowledgeable professionals who love books for books’ sake. I am thrilled to be published by AIA Publishing! – J.M. Erickson: Author of Intelligent Design: Revelations.
The submission process
- You may submit your manuscript to us using the submission guidelines below. We will look at a sample and either reject the book without stating a reason or request the full manuscript.
- If we read the full manuscript and the story and voice excites us, we may agree to publish your book, but unless it is ready to publish in its present form, we will request further editing/proofreading before making a final decision.
- If we reject your book and you would like to know why, you can book a manuscript appraisal with our managing editor.
- Final Decision: If we requested further editing, then when the editing and proofreading are complete, our team will discuss the book. If we are enthusiastic about it, we will offer to publish it. If we don’t make an offer, you can still publish it yourself, knowing that it has been edited to a standard that is ready for publication.
What we’re looking for
AIA Publishing’s books have a little bit of something special, perhaps a strong voice, a unique idea or some depth of insight. We do like a touch of metaphysics in our books and like genre fiction that has some depth in the story.
Email publisher(at)aiapublishing(dot)com with ‘Submission for AIA Publishing’ in the subject line.
- Book title, genre and word count.
- Brief description of the work.
- What makes it unique.
- Why you want us to publish it.
- About you.
- The first 1000 words in the body of the email.
- Do not attach your book. We’ll let you know if we want to read the whole thing.
If we select your book and you take up our offer to publish it
- We will let you know if further editing is required and will quote you for the work. The publishing agreement is not signed until editing is completed.
- We will arrange the cover design and formatting for ebook and paperback or you can arrange them yourself, but we will need to approve the provider and the results. If you choose different service providers and their files don’t meet Ingram Spark’s requirements, extra costs may apply. Special formating includes books with photographs, drop caps, bullet points and a lot of headings and subheadings. If your book requires such things we will subcontract the job to an outside provider and they will quote you.
- You pay subcontractors directly.
- We charge you for costs and time, including the time it takes to read and write emails and check details,
- We will give you the files for your ebooks to upload to ebook publishing platforms yourself. That way you have pricing control and 100% royalties for the ebooks. Even though you’ll upload the files to your own account, you will have an AIA Publishing ISBN and will cite AIA Publishing as the publisher.
- Though we will take your ideas into consideration, the publisher has the final choice of title, cover and formating.
- Paperbacks have worldwide distribution through Ingram Distributors. Your paperback will appear on Amazon and other online stores within two weeks of publication and will be available for order through all bookstores.
- Publicity is entirely the author’s responsibility. However, we do what we can to help with blog and social media posts. We will post for you and share your posts widely.
All prices are in USD.
- $45 per hour plus half the Paypal fees (2%) for publishing activities not including cover design, but including finding images for the cover, preparing internal images for printing, communications and formating, unless you want to include photos and/or special formatting in which case formatting will be subcontracted and paid separately. You will also be charged the price of the cover image should we need to buy one. (This is usually around USD$500)
- $300-350 for ebook and paperback cover from Velvet Wings Media plus an hourly rate for any changes made at your request. Or choose your own cover artist, but remember that we must approve the artist and the design. If the PDF file does not meet Ingram Spark’s requirements, further charges may be inccurred. You pay the cover artist directly.
- Costs of $225, plus tax and fees where applicable, comprising file uploads ($50), ISBN purchase ($10), $100 Business costs, and inclusion in the Ingram Spark catalogue for 5 years ($65). Taxes and fees are 10% tax, 1.3% bank currency exchange fee (where applicable) and Paypal fees (4%) if paying by Paypal – bank transfer is preferred. These costs are subject to change on the whim of Ingram Spark, the Australian Government, and Paypal.
- We will charge for costs upfront and invoice you for time accumulated before uploading the paperback files to Ingram Spark and sending you the ebook book files.
- Packages: We don’t do packages because different books and different authors require different amounts of time spent on their project. However, you can expect the whole process including comprehensive editing to cost around USD $3000.
- Ebooks: Authors upload the ebook files directly to Kindle Direct Publishing and Smashwords or other publication and distribution points and retain all ebook royalties and control over pricing.
- Print on demand: Authors retain 90% of net income, i.e., what we receive from Lightning Source minus 10%.
- Payments will be via electronic bank transfer and in the authors own currencey, subject to exchange rates used by TransferWise. Payments will be made quarterly
- The author retains all copyright.
- Author may buy books for cost price plus postage from printers in the USA, UK or Australia, plus for non-Australian residents an additional 4% for Paypal fees if paying by Paypal plus 1.3% Bank fee to cover currency exchange, and an order processing fee of $10.
- Term and Exclusivity. The publisher will have exclusive rights to publish the Work for five (5) years after the first publication date. The agreement then needs to be renewed by the author and a further Ingram Source catalogue fee paid ($65). If the agreement is not renewed, the book will remain available for purchase through the publisher, but will not be available through bookshops. However the author may cancel the publishing agreement with thirty (30) days written notice without cause.
We will promote your book via our blog, email list and social media accounts, but other than that marketing will be the author’s responsibility.
Why submit to AIA Publishing?
We pride ourselves on caring for our authors and making sure that their book is the best it can possibly be. With us you can be sure that your book is a fully professional product and that you have not paid a cent more than you need to in order to see it in print and ebook. But let our authors speak for us:
“What a difference a good editor and publisher makes! AIA published the second edition of my novel, Almost Human. They breathed new life into my novel by rebranding it. They kept me in the loop every step of the way with their professional and caring advice and expertise. They met their timelines and were prompt in getting back to me when I emailed them. They were very fair with pricing. My only regret is I did not use them sooner. I love the final product. The book cover is a vast improvement. I look forward to commissioning them for the sequel.” Kenneth L. Decroo, author of Almost Human.“AIA Publishing is outstanding in its support for the author and delivery of the product.Tahlia provided all she promised, efficiently, smoothly and professionally. I felt sustained by her care and excellent communication in a process completely new to me. Tahlia’s guidance and experience brought my first book to the public without stress and provided valuable tips in marketing it locally and internationally. I have confidently recommended other writers to her who also have been grateful for her care and skills.” David Kerr, author of Out of Latvia.
“Let no one mislead you. You can self-publish a book for next to nothing on Createspace but to self publish a good, well-written book that will gather positive reviews on Amazon and from rated reviewers and bloggers, you will have to shell out. Not a huge amount but maybe a thousand imperial British pounds or so. You will need a professional structural edit, a good cover and a copy edit. I was rubbish with computers so I had to pay for formatting of the ebooks as well. I self-published my first two books (A Fair Wack and Time Lapse), garnered some good reviews, sold a few copies and gained accreditation from Awesome Indies. Tahlia Newland appraised the manuscript of my third book Not Without Risk, then carried out the structural edit, after which she offered to publish it and provided me with an estimate of cost. I checked on what I’d spent on my first two books and it was in the same order.
I’m a wary creature by nature and have read all the horror stories about Vanity Publishing on Writer Beware. A quick google brought up nothing but praise, so I went for it. The book has gathered a lot of good reviews from rated reviewers and bloggers including one on Amazon USA which said, ‘Very well developed characters, nicely painted scenes and exceptionally clean editing make this a book a joy to read.’ Now if that isn’t a testimonial, what is?” Pete Trewin author of Not Without Risk
Don’t know anything about publishing? You may find this article on the basics of publishing helpful. http://aiapublishing.com/modern-publishing-basics