AIA Editing provides quality comprehensive editing services for budget conscious authors.
We work collaboratively with you to ensure that your work is technically correct, retains your individual voice and says what you want to say in the best possible way.
We will evaluate your book and quote for the level of editing it needs, aiming to provide the best quality editing at the most affordable price.
Please note: We specialise in fiction but also work with memoirs, books on writing and selected books on personal development.
“I can’t say enough good things about the AIA Editing Service. Not only was Tahlia spot-on with her editorial suggestions, she took the time to explain and even provide additional reference material. I learned more from her during the process than if I had taken a writing class. She was very responsive and helpful when I had questions, and the editors consistently met their deadlines. There is no doubt in my mind that the AIA Editing will be editing my next book.” David Homick, A Lifetime Last Night.
“Not only does Tahlia identify the weakness in my writing (while all the time giving me great support for the overall project), but she actually works to teach me how to remedy the issue for future works. Submitting my novels to AIA Editing has been the single best choice I’ve made for online writing services in my career. I cannot possibly recommend them highly enough.” Welcome Cole.
“I am glad that I hired the AIA Editing service. You can expect fast responses, good communications, and detailed work. ” Isabel Chloe.
See more references from happy clients on our Recommendations page.
Editing Services Offered:
- Manuscript appraisal/beta read/ developmental edit: The editor evaluates and gives suggestions for improvements in areas such as characterization, plot, pacing, dialogue, world building, and so on. USD$0.0015 per word for reading (USD$0.002 for non-fiction), plus a $60 writing fee.
- Line edit: The editor improves the prose. She or he checks every sentence to make sure you have expressed yourself in clear, clean prose. At this vital stage, the editor will remove overwriting and unnecessary repetition to ensure that your prose is as immediate and engaging as possible. Line editing generally costs between USD$0.015 and $0.02 per word, depending on the amount of work needed.
- Copy edit: The editor checks grammar, spelling, and punctuation. USD $0.005 per word.
- Line and copy edit together: For books that need only a light line edit. Between USD$0.006 and $0.015 per word, depending on the amount of line editing needed.
- Proofread: The editor reads through the manuscript, checking it for copy errors. Price depends on what previous editing has been done. No more than USD $0.005 per word.
Don’t worry, we will evaluate your book, let you know what it needs and will give you a quote.
The full editing process, step by step:
A detailed explanation of the process and what work is done at each stage can be found in the article, What is involved in editing a book? The editing process in detail.
- You fill in a contact form letting us know your specific needs.
- You submit the manuscript (ms) for a manuscript appraisal. This includes a free line editing sample if the manuscript is ready for it. You pay this fee up front. Click here for more details on appraisals.
- We return the ms to you along with our suggestions.
- You work on the ms, following our suggestions, then return the ms for the next stage.
- Our line editor looks over the ms and quotes a price for whatever level of editing is required. Authors whose books need less work will pay less money. Some books require a separate pass of the manuscript for line editing and copy editing, for others line and copy editing can be done at the same time. Half the payment is due in advance and the rest upon completion of the editing.
- We return the ms to you along with bookmarked areas for you to check. These may include areas where you need more description, or where the editor wasn’t sure of your meaning and needs you to check their understanding, or where the editor otherwise needs your input.
- You check, make alterations and additions where required and return the ms to the line editor. They check the bookmarked places and edit your additions as required. You pay an additional USD$45 an hour for time taken to check, re-edit and communicate about the work AFTER the initial edit of the manuscript.
- You go through the manuscript and accept or reject the changes. If you want to publish with AIA, you’ll need to accept 99% of them.
- You give the ms back to us for copy editing/proofreading. If the copy edit was done with the line edit, then this will be the proofread. If the line edit was done separately, then this will be a copy edit, and the book will need a further proofread before publication. If you’re planning on submitting the work to other publishers, you won’t need the final proofread.
- At the end of the process, if you’ve indicated your interest, you may be offered the opportunity to publish your book with AIA Publishing. In some cases a further manuscript appraisal may be required before the final decision can be made.
This depends entirely on how much work is required. Authors pay for the manuscript appraisal separately, and we give a quote for the editing required after that. Experienced authors pay as little as USD $0.0165 per word plus $60, but generally the full service starts at $0.0215 per word plus $60.
Services can also be booked individually, so if all you want is a proofread, we can do that.
We will choose from the following editors depending on availability. This service makes the most of their combined talents and will not cost you more than if you employed one of them for a full edit.
Line editor: Tahlia Newland.
Copy editors and Proofreaders: Kevin Berry, Tahlia Newland