AIA Editing provides quality comprehensive editing services for budget conscious authors.
We work collaboratively with you to ensure that your work is technically correct, retains your individual voice and says what you want to say in the best possible way.
We will evaluate your book and quote for the level of editing it needs, aiming to provide the best quality editing at the most affordable price.
Please note: We specialise in fiction, but can also work with memoirs with a narrative structure, books on writing and selected books on personal development.
“I can’t say enough good things about the AIA Editing Service. Not only was Tahlia spot-on with her editorial suggestions, she took the time to explain and even provide additional reference material. I learned more from her during the process than if I had taken a writing class. She was very responsive and helpful when I had questions, and the editors consistently met their deadlines. There is no doubt in my mind that the AIA Editing will be editing my next book.” David Homick, A Lifetime Last Night.
“Not only does Tahlia identify the weakness in my writing (while all the time giving me great support for the overall project), but she actually works to teach me how to remedy the issue for future works. Submitting my novels to AIA Editing has been the single best choice I’ve made for online writing services in my career. I cannot possibly recommend them highly enough.” Welcome Cole.
“I am glad that I hired the AIA Editing service. You can expect fast responses, good communications, and detailed work. ” Isabel Chloe.
See more references from happy clients on our Recommendations page.
Our Full Editing Service includes:
- Manuscript appraisal/developmental edit: The editor evaluates and gives suggestions for improvements in areas such as characterization, plot, pacing, dialogue, world building, and so on.
- Line edit: The editor improves the prose. She or he checks every sentence to make sure you have expressed yourself in clear, clean prose. At this vital stage, the editor will remove overwriting and unnecessary repetition to ensure that your prose is as immediate and engaging as possible.
- Copy edit/proofread: The editor checks grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Proofread: A further proofread may be required on books that required a lot of work at the previous stage. The editor reads through the manuscript, checking it for errors.
The process, step by step:
A detailed explanation of the process and what work is done at each stage can be found in the article, What is involved in editing a book? The editing process in detail.
- You fill in a contact form letting us know your specific needs.
- You submit the manuscript (ms) for an appraisal charged at USD$0.0015 per word for reading ($0.002 per word for memoirs and non fiction), plus a $60 admin/writing fee. This includes a free line editing sample if the manuscript is ready for it. You pay this fee up front. Click here for more details on appraisals.
- We return the ms to you along with our suggestions.
- You work on the ms, following our suggestions, then return the ms for the next stage.
- Our line editor looks over the ms and quotes a price for whatever level of line editing is required. Authors whose books need less work will pay less money. This stage of the editing generally costs between USD$0.015 and $0.03 per word, depending on the amount of work needed. Half the payment is due in advance and the rest upon completion of the line editing.
- We return the ms to you along with bookmarked areas for you to check. These may include areas where you need more description, or where the editor wasn’t sure of your meaning and needs you to check their understanding, or where the editor otherwise needs your input.
- You check, make alterations and additions where required and return the ms to the line editor. They check the bookmarked places and edit your additions as required. You pay USD$40 an hour for time taken to communicate (email or Skype) and check work after the intial pass of the manuscript.
- You read the ms and accept or reject the changes. If you want to publish with AIA, you’ll need to accept 90% of them.
- You give the ms back to us for copy editing and proofreading at $0.005 per word.
- Some books may need a further separate proofread – whether this is needed or not depends on how much work was required at the previous stage. If you’re planning on submitting the work to other publishers, you won’t need it. The proof reader will also assess your book for Awesome Indies approval.
- At the end of the process, you you’ve indicated your interest, you may be offered the opportunity to publish your book with AIA Publishing. In some cases a further manuscript appraisal may be required before the final decision can be made, but if we don’t select your book for publication we can still publish it under our self-publishing service provider imprint Authors Own Publishing.
This depends entirely on how much work is required. Authors pay for the manuscript appraisal separately and we give a quote for the rest of the edits required after that.
Don’t Have the Money?
Consider a ms appraisal, (includes line editing tuition), to give you guidance as to how you can bring your novel to its best possible state yourself, then follow that with a partial edit, or ask for a Time Open Discount.
A partial edit is a line and copy edit of how ever many chapters you can afford. It includes two passes of the chapters, the second after you have worked through the changes for the line edit. We will also edit your product description and provide feedback on character, voice, point of view and so on for the part we appraise. (You will still need a proofread by a different editor after this edit.) If you’re interested in this option, we’ll give you a free sample edit and a quote based on how long that takes us.
Time Open Discount
If you aren’t in a hurry Tahlia can do your work at a discounted rate (up to 25% off) when she has gaps between full paying jobs. For this you need to have no set date by which you want it finished. She can give you a general idea of when it will be done, but full paying clients have priority.
We will choose from the following editors depending on availability. This service makes the most of their combined talents and will not cost you more than if you employed one of them for a full edit.
Line editor: Tahlia Newland.
Copy editors and Proofreaders: Kevin Berry